Insight from Analyzing 10,000+ Cap Tables
You and your team’s payout for all of your hard work depends on getting it right.
The internet is a trove of personal opinion about the most important equity decisions like how much dilution is normal, how much equity you should set aside for options, and how raising money will affect the payouts to individual shareholders.
The Private Company Equity Report was built with real data from 10,000+ cap tables to provide statistical answers to these questions.
These slides give you the power to benchmark how you are doing in “fairness” as well as numerous other measures including dilution, option pool allocations, pre-money valuations by stage, etc..
You can download the full report or view a selection of the slides below.
- Dilution at each stage of funding is actually extremely predictable. We’ve boiled it down to a formula
- Founders often own far less at exit than they might think
- Later rounds don’t always translate to increased returns for common shareholders vs. preferred
- Average employee stock ownership of a company by stage
- Mean and median pre- and post-money valuations by stage
- Benchmark founder dilution rates by stage
- Option pool size benchmarks by stage
- For the first time ever, important insights on equity ownership and fairness.
- How concentrated equity ownership is among shareholders
- How early you must join a startup to have a solid chance of owning over 1%
- Many other insights
2018 Private Company Equity Statistics Report